I’ve been working on the crib off and on for the past few weeks. This past weekend I finished up the cutting and the routing. I haven’t been as active on this as I hoped, but I’m making some real progress now.
I haven’t done much work with wood in years. I’ve always liked it, but I never had money for the tools needed. Now that my wife and I have a stable income, I can afford the tools I couldn’t before. Cutting the wood down to size was extremely satisfying. Like I said it’s been a while since I’ve done a project like this, so I was really happy all my measurements were pretty accurate. I wasn’t off by more than an 1/8 of an inch on any of the cuts.
I’ve never used a router before, so that was really exciting for me. I got one for christmas specifically for this project, and I used it to round over the edges of the wood I cut up. You can see in this picture the difference before and after routing. My wife got me a set of routing bits, so I have a lot of options for future projects as well.
It’s so satisfying doing this project because I know that my baby is going to be using this crib. My wife loves it to, it’s definitely bringing us closer together. Her sister is having her own baby today and we are just over 6 months, so there’s a lot of baby stuff going on in my life.
Next up in this project is to attach the slats to the rails and start assembling the four sides of the crib. I’ll be taking pictures and I’ll post an update when I have something more to show for myself.